Last updated December 4, 2019
A brief timeline of events
In September 2018, the Board of Trustees of Shaare Zedek approached the Board of Trustees of Kehilat Hadar (the “KH Board”) to explore whether both communities would be interested in uniting together over the next few years. It is anticipated that Shaare Zedek will move in to a new space comprising a multi-use sanctuary, classrooms, and social hall on the first three wholly-owned floors of a new building on West 93rd Street between Broadway and Amsterdam, in the place of the former Shaare Zedek building, in Spring 2021.
The KH Board appointed a Task Force to engage in meaningful discussions with Shaare Zedek to determine if a multi-year phased approach to integrate both communities would be desirable and feasible for the Kehilat Hadar community, both now and in the future. These conversations focused on the religious, programmatic, governance, and financial aspects of both communities.
- In December 2018, the Task Force completed its evaluation and presented it to the KH Board. The KH Board voted in favor of pursuing good faith negotiations with the intention of preparing for, and defining, “Joint Operations” to commence on October 26, 2019.
- In January and February 2019, the KH Board engaged the team leads of KH for feedback and appointed a dedicated team, chaired by Ashira Konigsburg and Emily Scharfman, to continue this next phase of conversations.
- The KH Board shared these updates in an email to voting members in advance of our March 2019 Annual Meeting and provided an opportunity for all who wanted to participate to give feedback at that meeting.
- Volunteers from both the KH and SZ communities met (and continue to meet) in dedicated workstreams focusing on the ritual, programmatic, governance, financial operational, family, and communications aspects of Joint Operations.
- In June and July 2019, members of the KH Board held several Q&A sessions for KH community members to discuss the vision and process for integration with SZ. There was also a “town hall” meeting for families with children from both communities.
- In July 2019, Kehilat Hadar and Shaare Zedek finalized a Joint Operations agreement which was unanimously approved by both the Kehilat Hadar and the Shaare Zedek Boards.
- Also in July 2019, the voting members of Kehilat Hadar and the members of Shaare Zedek each approved moving forward with Joint Operations at their respective community meetings.
Joint Operations commenced on Shabbat Bereshit, October 26, 2019.
What does Joint Operations mean?
Read a summary of the Joint Operations Agreement.
How can I help?
The Kehilat Hadar board also welcomes feedback from our community. Please contact a member of the Kehilat Hadar Board of Trustees, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, or concerns. We will continue sharing updates and holding opportunities for the community to ask questions about the merger as we move forward.
How do I participate in formal community votes?
Voting members of Kehilat Hadar are entitled to vote at formal meetings. We determine voting membership each January based on donation or volunteer history from the previous calendar year. (If you are interested in becoming a voting member of Kehilat Hadar in 2020, please see our Membership page for more information.) The next vote planned for this process will be prior to moving into the new building along with Shaare Zedek, projected to be in the Spring of 2021.