March 13, 2019
We envision a vibrant community that elevates traditional and egalitarian Judaism on the Upper West Side. Integrating Congregation Shaare Zedek’s 180 years of storied history with Kehilat Hadar’s 18 years of innovation, our multigenerational community will empower individuals and families to grow their commitment to Jewish practice, while strengthening the bonds among all who seek high-quality, spirited, lay-led davening.
- Empowerment: We encourage the continued growth and development of our community members and are sustained by those who collaboratively lead the community in prayer, learn and teach Torah, pursue social justice, share meals, and build relationships.
- Dignity: We value each member of our community and are committed to ensuring that all are treated with dignity regardless of background, proficiency, or personal practice. This includes offering paths toward membership that are not contingent on financial contributions.
- Care and Connection: We promote a culture and practice of connecting and caring for all generations, across many stages of life, in moments of celebration and grief.
- Responsiveness: We strive to meet the needs of our community today, and be responsive to our community’s needs as they evolve over time.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in all that we do together through regular and consistent services and programs, while always seeking to improve.
- Volunteerism: We depend on the skills, talents, and interests of those who call our community home, cultivating and appreciating their leadership and commitment.
- Intentionality: We are deeply intentional when making decisions that will determine communal practices, seeking input from all community members but never deviating from our core commitments to egalitarianism, traditional liturgy, and halacha.
- Agility with Stability: We embrace the stability of permanent space while maintaining the agility of an independent minyan.